Note to Applicants 3/16/20: We have extended the deadline until March 27th at 5 pm Eastern due to the disruption in workflow caused by COVID-19. We also recognize that there may be difficulties in obtaining certain university documents and we encourage you to reach out to us at the contacts below so that we can help accommodate.
A stagnant NIH budget and lack of career development mechanisms for young HD researchers has led to an environment where the funding opportunities for young HD researchers are limited. The Huntington’s Disease Society of America (HDSA) believes we must ensure that the pipeline of passionate and bright HD scientists and clinicians remains full, a vision that is shared by the Berman and Topper families. With that in mind and with their support, HDSA is committed to sponsoring innovative lines of scientific inquiry into HD biology by young researchers with a desire in making HD part of their career plan. The goal of this new program is to develop the next generation of passionate and innovative HD scientists.
What is This Project?
- A three year grant mechanism to provide support for young scientists to work collaboratively with their mentors and other committed HD health professionals to help develop the fellow into an independent HD leader.
- Awards up to $80,000/year ($75,000 salary and research support, plus $5,000 travel/education budget)
Who Can Apply?
- Applications are welcome from young scientists/clinicians who are interested in a career in Huntington’s disease research or care.
- Applicants should be no more than 5 years removed from obtaining their PhD or completing their residency/fellowship.
- Applicants cannot have their own laboratory and must identify an individual who will serve as his or her mentor and supervisor.
- Open to researchers from around the world.
Please click here to download the Request for Proposals which contains more information about the details and terms of this award.
We are using a new online portal to streamline the application process. BEGIN OR CONTINUE YOUR APPLICATION
Completed applications must be received by HDSA no later than Friday, March 20, 2020, at 5:00 pm (EDT). Deadline has been extended to March 27th, 2020, at 5:00 pm (EDT).
If you have questions about the Berman-Topper Fellowship they can be directed to George Yohrling, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer & Chief Mission Officer, email@example.com.
If you have questions about filling out the online application they can be directed to Leora Fox, PhD, Manager of Research and Mission Programs, LFox@hdsa.org.