A stagnant NIH budget and lack of career development mechanisms for young HD researchers has led to an environment where the funding opportunities for young HD researchers are limited. The Huntington’s Disease Society of America (HDSA) believes we must ensure that the pipeline of passionate and bright HD scientists and clinicians remains full, a vision that is shared by the Berman and Topper families. With that in mind and with their support, HDSA is committed to sponsoring innovative lines of scientific inquiry into HD biology by young researchers with a desire in making HD part of their career plan. The goal of this new program is to develop the next generation of passionate and innovative HD scientists.
What is This Project?
- A three year grant mechanism to provide support for young scientists to work collaboratively with their mentors and other committed HD health professionals to help develop the fellow into an independent HD leader.
- Awards up to $80,000/year ($75,000 salary and research support, plus $5,000 travel/education budget)
Who Can Apply?
- Applications are welcome from young scientists/clinicians who are interested in a career in Huntington’s disease research or care.
- Applicants should be no more than 5 years removed from obtaining their PhD or completing their residency/fellowship.
- Applicants cannot have their own laboratory and must identify an individual who will serve as his or her mentor and supervisor.
- Open to researchers from around the world.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Request for proposals published: November 11, 2020
- Online portal opens: November 17, 2020
- Complete applications due: March 19, 2021, 5 PM Eastern
- Scientific Advisory Board review: Early May 2021
- Notification of award: Late May 2021
- Fellowship start date: No later than August 1, 2021
The 2021 HDSA Berman-Topper Fellowship Application is now available through HDSA’s online application portal.
You may CLICK HERE to download the 2021 Request for Proposals which contains more information about the details and terms of this award.
If you have questions about the Berman-Topper Fellowship or about filling out the online application, they can be directed to Leora Fox, PhD, Assistant Director, Research & Patient Engagement, LFox@hdsa.org, and Kelly Andrew, Coordinator, Research & Mission Programs, KAndrew@hdsa.org.