Family Is Everything!
At the Huntington’s Disease Society of America, family is everything. While the organization’s research, care, advocacy, and awareness programs strengthen and empower HD families in their fight against the disease, the support of these families is in turn essential to offering these crucial services. Family Funds provide a unique opportunity for generous families to personally host HDSA fundraising events and activities in their local communities, raising awareness and ensuring that HDSA has the financial resources necessary to combat HD.
What Is an HDSA Family Fund?
A Family Fund is a unique way for family members to combine their resources in order to create a significant named donation in support of programs and services for the HD community. By conducting events (dinners, golf outings, Hoop-a-Thons), letter-writing campaigns, or other activities, participants mobilize their friends and communities for donations. Once these donations are collected, the total gift is credited to a Fund bearing the family name or the name of a departed loved one, celebrating their life or marking your family’s dedication to the HD community.
What Do HDSA Family Funds Support?
Your Family Fund can strengthen all of HDSA’s programs and services through unrestricted support, or you can restrict it to specifically support research, care, or advocacy.
Why HDSA Family Funds?
Starting a Family Fund offers many advantages in fundraising for HDSA for your family:
- Expanding your reach to your friends and community networks allows you to make more significant contributions than you could alone, providing more impact on the lives of those suffering from HD.
- All donors to your Fund receive tax acknowledgement letters directly from HDSA, providing the customer service donors require without you having to do the paperwork or take on the hassle of maintaining your own 501(c)3.
- Support from HDSA staff—including fundraising coaching and a dedicated online donation portal—maximizes the potential of your event to positively impact the lives of HD families. Additionally, staff can assist with expense management techniques and thereby increase the impact of the funds raised.
- A Family Fund is a great way to create a legacy for a departed loved one or establish your family as a champion in the battle against HD.
How Do I Create an HDSA Family Fund?
Creating an HDSA Family Fund is easy. To figure out if a Family Fund is right for you and your family, please contact Jamison Skala, Director of Development at (212) 242-1968 ext 235 or email at email@example.com.
Important Note: Before establishing an HDSA Family Fund, please consider the following:
- Potential names for the Family Fund
- Who in your family should act as primary contact with HDSA
- Financial goals
- The approximate date of the first event
In all cases, it is advisable for you to consult your own financial planner, tax or legal advisor when you consider establishing an HDSA Family Fund.
Thank you for sharing our commitment to improving the lives of everyone affected by Huntington’s disease. Together we are providing help for today, hope for tomorrow.