Title: Assistant Director, Individual Giving
Reports to: Director of Development
The Assistant Director, Individual Giving is based in our New York City headquarters and reports to the Director of Development. This position oversees all aspects of national individual giving within HDSA, fostering a culture of philanthropy to realize the organization’s mission of improving the lives of everyone affected by Huntington’s disease and their families.
The Assistant Director, Individual Giving is responsible for developing and managing a major gift program and growing revenues through individual giving and direct appeals. Working closely with the Director of Development, the development team, and board development committee, the Assistant Director, Individual Giving will identify and cultivate new prospects for supporting HDSA, while at the same time strengthening relationships with current HDSA donors. This position will maintain a portfolio of prospects and donors and assume responsibility for the major donor budget line, and co-responsibility of the direct mail and sweepstakes budget lines of the national fundraising goal.
– Design, implement, and manage HDSA’s national major gift program, including prospect research, cultivation activities, solicitation strategies, stewardship activities, and planned giving.
– Manage a prospect & donor portfolio as a frontline fundraiser. Initiate contacts with potential and current major gift donors. Develop cultivation strategies to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation, closure, and stewardship.
– Expand the national major donor base to support the strategic planning goal of 5% National Development year-over-year fundraising growth.
– Collaborate with the Director of Development, regional staff, chapters, and affiliates to identify and strategically cultivate and solicit major gift prospects, as well as further cultivate and upgrade current major gift donors.
– Identify emerging philanthropic trends and areas of common interest between prospects & donors and HDSA, and utilize that information to prepare meaningful major gift proposals.
– Conduct 400 personal calls and 12-15 in-person visits per month with major gift prospects and current major gift donors with a focus on securing major gift investments of $1,000 to $25,000 or more.
– Work closely with the Senior Manager, Development & Meeting Planning to conduct and analyze active and ongoing prospect research.
– Lead, coordinate and manage individual giving efforts of the organization, including major gifts, planned giving, direct mail, and sweepstakes.
– In coordination with the Senior Manager, Development & Meeting Planning, plan and execute a successful direct mail program.
– Work closely with the Senior Manager, Development & Meeting Planning on donor reports and processes for tracking donors for the best use in pipeline cultivation and stewardship efforts.
– Guide, support, and engage the Director of Development and CEO as part of the donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship process as appropriate. Utilize key leadership’s time and talents appropriately in the donor cycle process.
– Work closely with the Director of Development to engage the Development Committee of the Board of Directors in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts to encourage leadership giving and getting from and by the Board.
– Assist the Director of Development in maintaining and expanding HDSA’s base of foundation and corporate support – cultivate and steward existing foundation/corporate relationships; research and prepare new and renewed foundation/corporate proposals; monitor proposal deadlines and interim and final reports.
– Assist the Director of Development with the preparation of annual budgets and income projections for the major donor area, and regularly review revenue and expenses, progress to goals, and track the status of pledges and gifts.
– Develop a personal commitment and understanding of Huntington’s disease and those who have it, and able to articulate the programs of HDSA that need support.
– Enhance donor & fundraising marketing and communication on all levels of the organization: keeping donors and the public informed, thanked and involved; providing vehicles for more effective Board and staff communication about fundraising efforts and RESULTS of the work of the organization.
– Along with the Director of Development, work with the Marketing Director to enhance the branding and positioning of HDSA to donors.
– Bachelor’s degree or above and/or minimum of four to five years of development experience growing an individual giving program, diversifying and expanding fundraising/cultivation activities, and securing major gifts ($1,000 to $25,000 (or more).
– Willingness to travel (30-40%) with a strong commitment to being “out of the office” to meet with stakeholders, HD families, and donors to cultivate and secure gifts, and steward our major donor, corporate, and foundation relationships.
– Demonstrated ability to build, manage, mentor and motivate a portfolio of prospects & donors.
– Ability to create and build a cultivation and stewardship plan that creates a steady pipeline of individual donors to HDSA that are giving over $1,000 annually.
– Must possess a high level of independence in accomplishing the responsibilities of the position.
– Dependability and outstanding organizational ability with focused attention to detail and follow through.
– Excellent written, presentation and communication skills with the ability to deal with sensitive issues, both directly and passionately to garner support for HDSA’s mission.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office; experience with Donor Perfect or other fundraising software a plus.
Cover letter, resume, and salary requirements are REQUIRED to be considered for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please email email@example.com using subject line – ADIndGiv.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits, as well as a terrific team with which to work!
HDSA is an equal opportunity employer.
# # #